Monday, March 22, 2010

Procrastination city

I know, I know; it's been nearly a year since I last wrote. Truth be told, I completely forgot about setting up a blog, and the only reason I remembered is because I'm trying to think of ways to complete that book I want to write. One way would be to continue writing, so this is step one. There have been a few major changes in my life since last June; I'm now an engaged woman planning her wedding for October 2010 in Fiji. Why Fiji, you wonder? Well, why not. It fulfills my childhood desire of having a wedding on the beach and also because it's different.

I'm moving to Bendigo, Victoria, in April. I was against this for a while, my fiance had moved there 'for a few months' to work with his Dad. Now he adores the place and asked me to move there. No long distance relationship for us; really, could you imagine? Engaged and living in different states? I don't think so. I am and always will be a NSW girl, however, so don't freak out too much. Melbourne has not wooed me over just yet with its shopping or cafes. I'm thinking of keeping a video diary of my move there, would that be interesting? I personally hate any type of movie that uses the hand held camera as an 'alternative/unique' effect. I get irritated and pissed off that that is their only creative idea, which isn't creative anymore thanks to the Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield (which was boring and stupid, may i add.) This will be a documentary style video though, with the camera on a tripod/flat surface so no annoying 'jerkiness.'

Currently trying to complete 3 subjects successfully whilst planning a wedding. Had the engagement party last Saturday night which was really fun! The realisation that I will not be able to spend money whenever I want on expensive clothes/items has hit me. Saving for a wedding and house is hard enough, but the best thing about the house is that it will be BRAND NEW! That's right, Bendigo is cheap as chips for buying land and building a house, and that's what we've done. I can't wait for it to be finished.

One subject I am studying at the moment is Creative Writing. I learnt a very valuable lesson last week, want to know what it was? It was the fact that so many people try and think of something completely different, something that has never been done before, when they write a story. This is ridiculously time consuming because ideas are always overlapping each other. I have fallen victim to the stress of this and let's be honest, we all want to be original, but the most important thing to focus on is how you write not what you write. Take Steven King, for example, he has written countless stories of the horror genre. Think about how many horror books there are out there. Why is Steven King different? Why is he so famous? Because he writes well; it is his style that makes him unique and this is why he's popular. Have a think about it.

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment